Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Miscellany

Man, it feels like it's been forever since I posted last. (It hasn't. I posted those recipes an hour ago.) Work has been insane because we have doubled the number of students in the building while simultaneously losing one of our teachers. (Indira is jumping ship. I wish her the best and also burn with jealousy.) The usual difficulties of orienting new students are heightened because there are so stinkin' many people in the building. It's been chaos.

There's also been the matter of my back. For over a week, I was a bent-over, wheezing, delicate old man. But apparently, the trick is to walk around the Toledo Zoo for a couple of hours on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. Once I did that, I felt as right as rain. Now I can stand up, get out of the car, and even go to the bathroom without crying out in pain. Yay for me and mi spina.

Something occurred to me the other day when I was talking to Maryn and Avery's principal: I don't like dealing with people who are paid to smile. Politicians, salesmen, PR people, grade school principals - you get the idea. It's their job to seem happy, upbeat, and positive. While there's nothing wrong with feeling/being that way, I have a natural distrust of people who have to do it. What if they don't feel that way at all? What if they're lying? What if they're just telling me what I want to hear in order to get me off their back or to buy something from them or to get me to vote for them? I just don't like it.

Anyway, on a happier/sadder note, tomorrow is the Lost season finale. We get to see how the Oceanic 6 finally ended up getting off the island and, presumeably, why nobody else did. (Ben and Locke move the island?) This is happy news because I'm all pumped to see what weird, islandy goodness the writers have cooked up for this two hour Lost-fest. It's sad because then the show will be in reruns until some stupidly distant time like December of 2011 or something like that. Seriously. Long summer breaks are lame when it comes to my favorite tv shows. On the bright side, Suzanne and I will be using all that extra time to catch up and review. I never saw any of season one and so I'm making up for lost (heh) time by renting the DVDs and watching episodes 2 and 3 at a time. With no commercial interruptions, they last just over 45 minutes and it's real easy to watch an episode or two once the girls have gone to bed. I still have all of seasons 2 and 3 before being entirely up to date. I won't be completely without my Lost fix for a while.

On a more literary note, I came across a copy of Chaim Potok's Zebra and Other Stories at the Salvation Army the other day. I had no idea he'd written stories for young adults but I picked it up and started reading the title story while Suzanne rifled through endless racks of junk looking for diamonds in the rough. I was totally sucked in and I'm so happy to have found another wonderful book by Potok. It shows me that the Asher Lev books weren't a fluke and that I should probably read The Chosen as well. (And anything else Potok has written. I just really like his style, his characters, his stories, etc.)

I'm also working on Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides and thinking about getting back to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Of course, by the time I get really ramped up and back into the pleasure-reading mode, it will be time to pick up school books again and prep for my QE over the summer. Ah well. I'll enjoy it while I can.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats on the start of a new "season" - Didn't realize during the times we were goofing off in Idaho that you and my daughter would be graduating the same time!!
I'm posting to give you a nudge in reading "The Chosen" - It's in our library now and its wonderful.... although I've never convinced my kids to read it. I haven't read anything else of Potak's - give me a suggestion...

Anonymous said...

I loved The Chosen. It was my favorite book when I read it when I was 10 or 11 or so. I don't think I've read it since, though.

brownbunchmama said...

Glad your back is better. LOVE the engagement photo on the blog page!

Paul and Linda said...

Do you remember how you learned to spell "principal" by being told :"Mr. Jones is the principal because he is your 'pal' !" He is not your "pal" ! He got here because he couldn't TEACH, and that's the truth !

Shauna said...

The Chosen is a fav of mine too.

Let's hope we aren't disappointed tomorrow night.

In between Lost back episodes, check out "Burn Notice" on USA network. It's entertaining and brand new all summer long!

Ang said...

I've always felt bad for talk show hosts. Not only do they have to be continually up and on and funny, but they've got to feign interest in some of the most ridiculous people. Every once in a while they crack, though. Like when Rosie O'Donnell went ballistic on Tom Selleck or when Ellen completely lost it on air because she'd given her dog to a family and the shelter took it back. And no, I DON'T watch daytime t.v. all the time. Promise. I haven't watched Ellen in months. I just happened to watch that particular day (promise!) and it was like a slow-motion car crash. Riveting.

And you haven't been watching Lost from the beginning? For realsies?

Captain Admiral said...

I'll second the suggestion for Burn Notice. A much cooler MacGuyver for the 21st century (complete with snark and irony!) and with Bruce Campbell in a recurring supporting role. It's a keeper.
And for the record...I've never watched a single episode of Lost or Dancing with the Stars. So there.
And don't forget to pick up Seasons 1 and 2 of MXC while you're at it...